Life - The Swerve Ball

Life throws you curve balls way more often than anybody needs and today it’s thrown me one in a different way.

I’ve just been to visit my dad, who’s in hospital overnight after a minor operation, and on the way out I saw a young girl, who couldn’t have been more than 8, sat with her mum and they were both crying. The girl looked at me and cried with a look of “help us please even though you can’t it’s already too late.” It was a hopeless moment that filled me with the emptiness and dread of knowing exactly what that poor little girl was going through. We’ve all seen that look a least once, I didn’t need to know which of her loved ones was gone.

That same moment must happen millions of times in the world every minute. In fact it must be happening hundreds, if not thousands of times, right now.

That’s a curve ball of a thought for me.

Now, I’m not going to tell you to go out and live your lives to the max, or take each day as it comes, or feel sorry for everyone who’s having a really tough time. I’m not going to tell you my life will change and from now on I’ll count myself lucky for every none devastating minute.

I’m just going to say keep dodging them damn swerve balls because you don’t need them, but know there’s an endless supply of the damn things.